|The fabrics used for this tote are Chevrons Golden and On Point Golden from Cloud9.|
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Two 14"x18" pieces of main exterior fabric
- Two 4" x 18" pieces of coordinating exterior fabric
- One 17" x 18" piece of fabric for the lining (I used a lightweight canvas).
- Two 17" x 18" pieces of fusible fleece
- One 14" x 17" piece of fabric for the interior pocket (optional)
- One 14" x 17" piece of fusible interfacing (optional)
- Six pieces of 40" long clothesline (I used polyester)
- Coordinating thread
- Four grommets (and grommet setting tool)
Turn right side out through the gap you left in the lining.
Try to fit your grommet - it probably will not fit, so you will need to cut more, but do only a tiny, tiny bit at a time because if you cut the hole to large, you are out of luck and will need to remake the tote!
Place the back of the grommet on and use your setting tool to set it in place.
Yeah! Your tote is almost finished. Now onto the straps.....
Have someone hold the end, or find a way to secure one end while you braid the pieces together. Do this for both sets.
Once finished, untie your knot (braid the extra length if needed) and cut both sets of braids to the same length. You will need to find a way to prevent the ends from fraying. I choose to heat the ends with a lighter, melting the polyester. If you do this, try not to brown the ends...it doesn't look good!
Repeat for all ends and you are done!
Pat yourself on the back and go take your bag out to show it off! I'm sure you will get many requests to make more!